Q. Is your decal paper available in retail stores?

Due to the fact that our decal paper and film is a highly specialized product, we believe we can best service our costumers by offering them our  products directly through the internet.

Q. Where can I order the Papilio decal paper?

 A. Our ecommerce website is located at www.duradecal.com  

Q. Can I order Papilio decal paper in wholesale?

 A. Yes. On our ecommerce website you can order paper in bulk quantities (wholesale price when ordering 100 sheets or more)

Q. I want to make bumper stickers using my inkjet printer. Can this be done ?

A. Yes, by using our waterproof inkjet vinyl AND over-laminate. The biggest concern is the UV resistance of the ink (not the water fastness). Use photo inks or "achievable" inks for longer outdoor life. Don't expect unrealistic long life from bumper stickers that can be made one at a time for pennies using your desktop equipment. Professional bumper stickers are made using screen printing and industrial UV proof inks.

Q. I want make bumper stickers using a desktop inkjet printer. The stickers don't have to last for years but several months and/or up to a year would be good.

A. This approach is more realistic, and please keep in mind that screen printed bumpers stickers sometimes fade in the sunlight after even just a few months if special UV resistant inks were not used. You can make Bumper stickers using your inkjet printer and we recommend our WVF (waterproof vinyl film together with our WOL Laminate (waterproof over laminate) Best results will be achieved when using an inkjet printer such as the Epson Stylus series that prints using the new DuraBrite TM inks.

 Q. What is your best product for a transparent sign on our interior, glass office door. We want only the logo to show and the rest should appear to be clear glass. We will be using an inkjet printer to produce it. Clear Ultra Cling?

A. When you print onto something (clear water slide film, vinyl, polyester) there will always be the substrate left that "holds" the ink and this will always show up on the glass. The only way to show ONLY the logo would be to paint it onto the glass.

Q. What it the difference between the static cling and the ultra cling.

A. The static cling is just that, a film that will cling to flat or smooth substrate without the use of an adhesive. This is useful for some special application where the label may be left on the item for a long time often to protect it from surface scratches. Static cling is also used for promotional stickers that are used for short time and must be removed quickly and without any possible adhesive residue. The Ultra Cling however has a special tacky film (similar to regular adhesive) and will therefore cling to substrates where static cling can not be used. This feature is specially useful for car windows, glass doors on coolers, and surfaces where moisture may collect and so on.

Q. I want to make temporary tattoos in a relatively large quantity or a few hundred or more at a time. Can I use your paper ?

A. Yes. With the transfer adhesive sheets used with our tattoo media you can create a good quantity of temporary tattoos without too much trouble. The special double liner sheets leave one liner in place so that the end user removes it just before applying. This protects the adhesive and tattoo from dust, fibers, or dirt.

Q. I want to use your Aqua Slide Paper to make a ceramic decal and fire it in a ceramic kiln. Can this be done?

A. No. See next question. Computer printers do not print with ceramic over-glaze colors.

Q. I want to make Ceramic decals. Can I use your paper?

A. No. Our papers are designed for Inkjet, Laser, and Dry Resin (ALPS) printers. The ink/toner/resin used by these printers are not capable of withstanding the intense heat of a kiln.

Q. How can an inkjet media be waterproof if the ink itself is water-soluble?

A. The concept is similar to what happens if you spill fruit juice on white cotton fabrics such as a T-shirt. The dye molecules get trapped in the cotton fibers and cannot be removed easily using only a gentle stream of cold water.  Sometimes warm water and soap will not even remove the stain.

Q. In most of the instructions you talk about using the Regular Ribbons.

What do you mean by "the Regular Ribbons" ?

A. If you are using Alps MD1000, MD4000 or other Alps printers that do not offer a "dye sub mode" you don’t have to worry about this as the regular ribbons are the only ribbons your printer will accept. Other Alps printers offer a printing mode called Dye Sub Mode using a special dye sub ribbon.

Q. What will happen if I use the Photo Quality Ribbons (sometimes referred to as "Dye Sub" ribbons) instead of the regular ribbons ?

 A. Depending on the media you intend to print on, the ribbons may tear.

Q. I want to make outdoor labels that must last up to 5 years.

A. The ONLY WAY to do this is to screen print onto vinyl media or film using industrial ink that is certified for this purpose.

Q. How can I tell the difference between the Photo Quality (dye sub ribbons) and the regular ribbons?

A. If you want to physically distinguish between the cartridges, the Dye Sub Cartridges are blue. The regular ribbons (the plastic cartridge enclosure) are black.

Q. I want to use your Aqua Slide Paper to make a ceramic decal and fire it in a ceramic kiln. Can this be done?

A. No. The Alps printer does not print with ceramic over-glaze colors. But you can BAKE the decal onto a mug or other item that can be heated to produce a semi permanent or dishwasher resistant decal using your kitchen oven.

Q. I want to use a color laser and your PAS paper to make dye sub images on ceramic tiles. Can I do this using a Color Laser Printer?

A. NO. Sublimation and ceramic decals are two totally different things.

Ceramic decals are printed using lead fritted metal oxide (china paint) that fuses onto the glaze of porcelain and ceramic at 800 degrees Celsius.

Dye sublimation is the transfer of dye sublimation ink using low heat onto ceramic ware that has been coated with a special coating to receive the ink. This process takes place at around 148 degrees Celsius.

Printing on the PAS film is a COLD transfer where you use water to slide the carrier film onto the item. Baking will make this film stick better and using the urethane over-laminate makes this film invisible.

Q. What is the difference between PAS/N and PAS/4 decal media?

A. The PAS/N is softer, has less gloss and will form to relief and curves. PAS/4 is stronger, glossier and stiffer.

Q. How well will the Alps ink resist fading if placed where it is exposed to direct sunlight ?

A. The Alps ink is extremely resistant to the UV effect of the sunlight when compared with traditional photographs.

Q. Can I use your self adhesive vinyl in a Laser printer and, if so, also in Color Laser Printers?

A. In most cases our Vinyl can be used with excellent results in B/W laser printers like HP and Brother and B/W photocopiers, except Xerox. BUT do NOT use our vinyl in color laser printers.

Q. Can any of your inkjet media be used in a laser printer, or vise versa?

A. No. Please do not try out inkjet decal paper in you laser printer as in some cases (with some papers such as the IRO this will cause damage to you color laser printer)

Q. Do you make or offer white decal film water decals paper.  Or white water slide decal paper.

A. Yes we also make white decal paper for Inkjet printers.